How long have the “bees” been there?
Is the swarm on public or private property?
Where is the “bee” swarm”, is it in a tree, fence, rafters in an old building or in the bushes?
What color are the “bees”?
● Mt. Baker Beekeepers Association publishes an list of members who are available to retrieve honeybee swarms from many Whatcom County areas. This is offered as a public service. Please check our Beekeeper List to see that they service your area before calling.
● Honeybee swarms are generally docile and harmless if not disturbed. Swarms occur in late spring and summer. A swarm is a dense cloud of flying bees which eventually settles in a tree or bush, then forms a tight cluster to stay warm and protect their queen. They are in search of a new home after having left their old, overcrowded home.
● The sooner you call after sighting a swarm, the better the odds of capturing it. Leave the swarm for a beekeeper to deal with, or just leave it undisturbed and it will usually leave in a day or two. A clustered swarm is just stopping temporarily as honeybees do not fly at night.
● Beekeepers will first ask a few questions to determine if the swarm consists of Honeybees. Honeybees are golden with black stripes. Wasps are bright yellow.
● Beekeepers may decline to capture a swarm if it’s in a dangerous location or inside the wall or roof of a building or are other types of bees, wasps or hornets.
If you believe you have a genuine honeybee swarm that needs immediate attention, scroll down for the Beekeeper Swarm list to find a beekeeper who catches swarms in your area.
Honeybee Swarm Capture Contact List
|NAME||PHONE #||AREA SERVED||CUT-OUTS?|
|Arnold Allen||509-844-8233||N. Whatcom County||No|
|Miguel Boriss||360-483-7892||Bellingham + 5 miles outside||No|
|Bill Buce||360-961-3175||Bellingham, Alger, Bow||No|
"Bees Choice Honey"
|Daryl Hill||360-319-6099||Whatcom County||No|
|Marco Hubert||360-739-7364||Whatcom County||Possible|
|Teddy McFall||956-533-0628||Custer, Ferndale||No|
|Dakota Stranik||360-328-1375||Whatcom County||No|
|Jim Trowbridge||360-220-1435||Silver Beach|
North Shore Dr.